RE: training for new DBA's

From: Ric Van Dyke <ric.van.dyke_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 16:07:16 -0600

Roger that Wayne, you're talking about "just in time" training and training retention. It would be great to be like the movie Matrix where we could just "up-load" the training needed at that moment directly into our cranial cavity (need to fly a helicopter, just a second.... there ya go!)

When I train I hope that something approaching 30-50% of the training will be used soon after training and that the rest they will have at least a decent recollection of so they can refer to the course material when it comes up. Ultimately a course in the long term is only as good as the course material. If it can't serve as a reference guide after class, then it's value is rather limited.

After all it's pretty much impossible to know exactly what a student will need or not in the near or far term. Sure there are basics that are pretty constant, but even some of those can vary depending on the site.

My main point is that we all get the best training in the "class room". Where a group of folks are able to interact and learn not just from the instructor but from each other as well. One on one might sound like a good thing, but all of my best classes (where folks get the most out of them) is where it's a group from about 5 to 15 or so.

I realize that budgetary constraints are there and not something we can avoid. Just like with pretty much everything in life, you get what you pay for. I know for me one week of training was worth over a year of trying to learn on my own.

  • Ric

From: Wayne Smith [mailto:wts_at_maine.edu] Sent: Monday, February 03, 2014 4:25 PM
To: Ric Van Dyke
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: training for new DBA's

Thanks for the comments, Ric! My points were twofold and not far from yours, I think. First, the training has to take into consideration the skills of the trainee. Second, the company probably has immediate and near-term needs, so the initial training should be tailored to them.

If my trainee was a sysadmin, the training would be a lot different than if she was a database developer. If my immediate need was for a DBA with application awareness or security considerations or installations or performance, ... the training of interest and order of training will vary considerably.

As an example, if I send a trainee to school on OEM install and config, but the trainee won't be putting it to use for another year, large portions of that time/money would be wasted. Learning is good ... using that knowledge is good for the company and great for knowledge (and trainee) retention.

Cheers, Wayne