Re: training for new DBA's

From: Mark Bobak <Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 23:48:26 +0000

Hmm...free or cheap is going to be tough.....

There's Oracle University, of course, but that's probably not going to fit your definition of 'cheap'. They do have video and self-study that would probably be more economical than instructor lead...but probably not cheap.

When I started out, I went to a 2-week crash course that Global Knowledge did...but I think they have since discontinued their entire Oracle program, though.

Depending on where you live, the local college or university may have Oracle classes....

For free, there is the 2-Day DBA, which may be a good intro: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E16655_01/server.121/e17643/toc.htm

Of course, some of this will depend on his current knowledge level...does he know SQL? Other languages? (Java, C, etc?) Sys admin background?

-Mark

--

Mark J. Bobak, Lead Oracle DBA

ProQuest | 789 E. Eisenhower Pkwy | Ann Arbor, MI 48108-3218 USA | +1 734 997 4059

www.proquest.com<http://www.proquest.com/>

ProQuest... Start here. 2013 InformationWeek 500 Top Innovator

From: Jeff C <backseatdba_at_gmail.com<mailto:backseatdba_at_gmail.com>> Reply-To: "backseatdba_at_gmail.com<mailto:backseatdba_at_gmail.com>" <backseatdba_at_gmail.com<mailto:backseatdba_at_gmail.com>> Date: Friday, January 31, 2014 at 6:11 PM To: "oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>> Subject: training for new DBA's

We are looking at training a new DBA from scratch (hiring from within) and I am looking for any opinions on where/how/what to train this person on. I was thinking of starting with just basic SQL and relational database design then onto some pl/sql. After that move on to dba stuff. Is there any good free or cheap places to get this kind of training? And how would you test a very beginner candidate to know if they would be a good fit for this position. Any questions or tests I good give them? What would you look for?

This is new to me as I have been mainly the lone dba for years and also trained on the job. Thanks for any input.

Jeff

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Sat Feb 01 2014 - 00:48:26 CET

Original text of this message