Re: Overwriting/deleting blobs

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 11:02:25 -0000

WGB, I think you need to get your security department to explain exactly what they would like the database to achieve, but I think the answer is

  1. when you update a blob the data for the old blob is still in the file until some unspecified future time - it's just a little harder to get at
  2. that's the way it works with all the other data in the database, though the specific mechanism are different, so why are they worrying about blobs in particular

Of course there's always the reverse question - why is your security department so keen to destroy the audit trail ? ;)

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/all-postings

Author: Oracle Core (Apress 2011)