RE: Sync redo log waits

From: Shanmugam, Satheesh B <satheesh.b.shanmugam_at_jpmchase.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 05:03:10 +0000

ARCHIVE_LAG_TARGET is not hard limit. _log_switch_timeout would be more accurate.

Refer to https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&type=BUG&id=6920172&productFamily=Oracle

ARCHIVE_LAG_TARGET=900 is not as simple as causing a log switch   every 15 minutes. The code tries to be more intelligent than   that - it looks at how long a time period the current   log spans and how long it expects to take to archive the log   using an in memory archival rate and kicks off a log switch if   it thinks that these two added together will exceed the   ARCHIVE_LAG_TARGET. ie: The aim is the get the log archived   so that when archival completes the archived log contains no   redo which is more than archive_lag_target seconds old.   This is intended to be of help for standby databases where   remote archival is being used.

Regards,
Satheesh Shanmugam
US# 614-213-5790