Oracle RAC TEMP / TEMP GROUP tablespace performance question

From: <Christopher.Taylor2_at_parallon.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 16:02:13 -0600

Env: 10.2.0.4 RHEL 5.6 3-node RAC
We have 2 TEMP tablespaces:
TEMP1
TEMP2 We have 1 TEMP GROUP:
TEMP_GRP TEMP1 = 5 tempfiles
TEMP2 = 5 tempfiles

I'm curious if it would make more sense to have multiple TEMP tablepaces, each with 3 datafiles (based on the number of RAC nodes) and 1 TEMP GROUP instead of 2 TEMP tablespaces with multiple tempfiles?

The reason I ask is that I seem to be getting some wonky temp space performance from the current setup and I feel like this could be designed better but I didn't want to start down a path that has been well trod already.

So any of you guys have recommendations on TEMP tablespace setups before I start tearing things apart for testing?

Regards,

Chris Taylor
Oracle DBA
Parallon IT&S