Re: ORA-04030: out of process memory

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 08:49:31 -0700

Amit,

Encountering ORA-04030 does not indicate that your PGA is not set high enough; instead it might indicate that it (and perhaps your SGA_MAX_SIZE) is set too high for the server configuration. This particular exception is coming back from the OS, stating that the process supporting your database session attempted to allocated more private process memory for the PGA, but received an "out-of-memory" response from the system call.

If you reduce PGA (or SGA), you'll likely see the incidence of ORA-04030 decrease, but perhaps you might also see the performance of some operations decrease. My thought is that your database instance is either over-configured for the server, or your server is underconfigured for the database instance. In the former case, if the database is over-configured, consider reducing the size of PGA and SGA. If the latter case, if the server is under-configured for the database workload, then you need more memory on that thang.

Another possibility is that you have something else (i.e. JVM or app-server?) sucking up heap memory on this server; is this a dedicated database server, or not? If so, it might make sense to either increase memory on the server or separate the Oracle database instance to a dedicated server. Or, reduce the Oracle instance's memory footprint on this server (i.e. PGA, SGA) until one or the other happens.

Hope this helps,

Tim Gorman

consultant -> Evergreen Database Technologies, Inc.
postal     => PO Box 352151, Westminster CO 80035-2151 USA
web/blog   => http://www.EvDBT.com/
email      => Tim_at_EvDBT.com
mobile     => +1 (303) 885-4526
twitter    => timothyjgorman