Re: ASM and archivelogs - what if....

From: John Hurley <hurleyjohnb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 09:46:03 -0800 (PST)

I for one am not a believer in using ASM based storage for either archivelogs or rman disk backups.  Much prefer a regular cooked file system for these items.

Part of every rman backup cycle of a database that uses asm should be making sure that your asm instance and diskgroups are recoverable.

Personally I recommend periodic testing of a recovery to include these steps:

  1. blow away all your oracle and grid directory structures
  2. recover your oracle and grid software
  3. bring up asm instance ( so you better have a backup of init files / stuff like that ).
  4. create FORCE your asm diskgroups ( re-initialize them ).
  5. recover your database(s) on those disk groups
    • Original Message ---- From: "Christopher.Taylor2_at_parallon.net" <Christopher.Taylor2_at_parallon.net> To: breitliw_at_centrexcc.com Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org Sent: Tue, February 5, 2013 11:56:43 AM Subject: RE: ASM and archivelogs - what if....

Can I answer "no" without fear of reprisal? :)

I'm new to ASM and I don't think any of our guys are backing up ASM metadata.  I'll have to poll them.

Chris