RE: Partition LUNs for Oracle ASM

From: Walker, Jed S <Jed_Walker_at_cable.comcast.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 18:24:24 +0000

Thanks for the document reference. It looks pretty much like what is in the Documentation. It doesn't clearly state whether LUNs should be partitioned or not, but I get the impression you can use them as is.

Anyone else have thoughts or knowledge?

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Matthew Zito Sent: Friday, January 25, 2013 12:26 PM
To: Jed_Walker_at_cable.comcast.com
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

This is reaching back in my memory, so I'm sure someone will have more specifics, but as I recall, there used to be a variety of situations where you wanted to use partitioned disks. For example, EMC PowerPath used to have issues with non-partitioned disks and ASM, there were some 10gR2 bugs, some storage-driver specific issues, etc. For years, we always recommended to our customers that they partition, but it seems that as of (maybe recent?) 11gR2, whole disks works fine, and indeed, I see more and more organizations using whole disks. This also probably dovetails with the decline of ASMlib on Linux, as storage admins and Linux itself get better at disk labeling, removing the value of ASMlib.

Thanks,
Matt

NOTICE: Confidential message which may be privileged. Unauthorized use/disclosure prohibited. If received in error, please go to www.td.com/legal for instructions.
AVIS : Message confidentiel dont le contenu peut être privilégié. Utilisation/divulgation interdites sans permission. Si reçu par erreur, prière d'aller au www.td.com/francais/avis_juridique pour des instructions.