Re: Database creation question

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 17:23:53 -0000

  • Original Message ----- From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist2_at_society.servebeer.com> To: <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:07 AM Subject: Re: Database creation question
| Maureen writes:
|

| > Do most people install Oracle Text when creating a new 11g database?
|
| Not here, unless specifically required.

The one that I particularly dislike is Spatial - which installs by default unless you go to the "secondary" installation screen and deselect it.

This introduces a number of database-level triggers that fire for reasons related to Spatial temporary tables et. al. In many cases people don't notice that this is happening because the causes are quite rare, but some applications do a lot of DDL and can end up with significant contention as a side effect of installing an application that they didn't realised was going to be installed.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/all-postings

Author: Oracle Core (Apress 2011)