How/when does Oracle know when to start ASMB background process?

From: <Christopher.Taylor2_at_parallon.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 09:26:43 -0600

I know this may seem rudimentary to many of you, but another DBA and I were discussing this question. (After I recently dorked up an spfile on one of my QA clustes - miscalculating sga_max_size) So we were talking and I was curious how (or when) does Oracle know to start the ASMB background process when starting up from a pfile when no spfile is specified in the pfile?

I have to "assume" that because the control files have the "+" notation that the instance knows to start the ASMB process?

I've tried verifying this on my own but couldn't put my hands on the answer right away.

Regards,

Chris Taylor
Oracle DBA
Parallon IT&S