RE: Snap Manager for Oracle

From: Armstrong-Champ, Joseph William <Joseph.Armstrong-Champ_at_tufts.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 20:06:18 +0000

We have tested smo and found it useful for cloning databases. We also tested it for backups and restores but since we've been using rman successfully for a while we are hesitant to change. Netapp backups using snapshots is very fast, but since our databases are not that big, that point is not too important to us.

The original reason we started playing with it was to be able to refresh a database which had pointers to flat file content. We were told that smo would do this via the gui, but that turned out not to be the case with the previous version. We are testing again with the latest version.

We are still in the testing phase with everything. Nothing has changed with our prod environments.

Feel free to contact me if you want more info.

Joe