RE: VMs on SSDs or 7500 rpm SATAs?

From: <Christopher.Taylor2_at_parallon.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 09:14:35 -0600

That's a great point about the restores and may be the deciding factor. I would assume that even going back to a previous snapshot would be much faster?

Chris

From: Ls Cheng [mailto:exriscer_at_gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2013 9:09 AM To: Taylor Christopher - Nashville
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org; fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com; mwf_at_rsiz.com; sheldonquinny_at_gmail.com; jkstill_at_gmail.com; mdinh235_at_gmail.com; kellyn.potvin_at_ymail.com Subject: Re: VMs on SSDs or 7500 rpm SATAs?

Hi

SSD is good you have many VMs and you need to make copy of them regularly. The problem I have had when using SSD is that it is so fast that (I use SSD in my laptop) my tests are 10's of times faster than customer environments with SAN, funny huh :-)

I bought 3 Samsung 840 PRO 512GB a couple of weeks ago because I manage many VMs (I have around 40 VMs) and sometimes to do tests instead of using VM snapshots I simply run test in a VM and restore the VM to do the test again, with SSD these tests are much smoother and much less time consuming.

In the past I have VM running in single SATA 7200 RPM drives or 2 RAID 0 SATA 7200 RPM and they are all good for personal tests.

Thanks

--

LSC
--