Re: Windows 8 or stay with Windows 7

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 20:57:58 -0700

On 01/01/2013 8:31 PM, Bobby Curtis wrote:
> Happy New Year! I've been trying to decide if I should build a VM to
> test out Windows 8 with Oracle; just can't pull the trigger yet. I
> wanted to see if anyone else has tried Windows 8 yet with Oracle? Pros?
> Cons?

Your purpose? And your version of Oracle?

Since Windows 8 is not a Server environment, there might be limited value in the experiment for an enterprise

But it certainly will be interesting for students and people who want to see what works in a desktop environment and what does not.

I do know that Oracle has not certified any version of Oracle database server on Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 at this time. I remember the challenges we faced when Vista and Windows 7 first appeared, so reporting the efforts of your experiment will likely be appreciated.

Only thing I suggest - start with Pro or Enterprise, as 'Core' ('Home') usually has network, security and other necessary aspects 'limited' and that would add another layer of headache in troubleshooting - if it comes to that.

/Hans