RE: Using multiple NICs for Oracle dNFS

From: Hameed, Amir <Amir.Hameed_at_xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 14:11:13 -0400

Thanks again Matt. Let me ask our NAS folks to make the change and then I will give you a feedback.

Appreciate it.
From: Hameed, Amir [mailto:Amir.Hameed_at_xerox.com] Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:05 PM
To: Zito, Matthew

Hi Matt,
I appreciate the feedback.

This is what I have:

ixgbe0	10.9.100.20
ixgbe2	10.9.101.20
NAS IP	10.9.100.16

Trace route from ixgbe0 to filer works fine: traceroute -s 10.9.100.20 10.9.100.16
traceroute to 10.9.100.16 (10.9.100.16) from 10.9.100.20, 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 pn0300xd0708-nfsq (10.9.100.16) 0.314 ms 0.078 ms 0.066 ms

Trace route from ixgbe2 to filer does not work fine: traceroute -s 10.9.101.20 10.9.100.16
traceroute to 10.9.100.16 (10.9.100.16) from 10.9.101.20, 30 hops max, 40 byte packets

 1  * * *
 2  * * *
 3  * * *
 4  * * *

I will forward this note to the DL.
Thanks
From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Hameed, Amir Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:52 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Using multiple NICs for Oracle dNFS

Folks,
When configuring multiple NICs (two in our case) for dNFS per RAC server, do all NICs need to be in the same VLAN (assuming that private dedicated VLANs are used) or does each NIC need to be in its own private VLAN? We have configured two 10GbE NICs in a private VLAN on each RAC node. However, when I run trace-route (these are Solaris boxes) from the dNFS NIC IPs to the NAS IP, trace-route works fine on one NIC and not on the other and this behavior is consistent on all RAC nodes where trace-route is working fine on one of the NICs and not on the other. Our networking people are not able to figure out what is causing it. Our Unix people believe that if multiple NICs are part of the same VLAN then the traffic will go out (to NAS) only from one NIC but will be received by both NICs (from NAS). I am not a networking expert and would appreciate if anyone can provide some feedback.

Thanks

Amir

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Wed Mar 28 2012 - 13:11:13 CDT

Original text of this message