Re: Oracle On Windows Question

From: Norman Dunbar <oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 09:06:46 +0000

Scott,

> Normally, I agree with you and I've told many vendors that it isn't important where the database is as long as they can connect to it. This vendor flat out says that if we don't put it on windows, they won't support us. They did say that we could move it to Linux after the install as long as we move it back to Windows for any support or upgrade.
Sounds to me as if they wouldn't be able to support it anyway if they think it makes a difference to the application where the database actually lives. Best avoided - but I suspect that you have no say in the matter.

I'm not sure how helpful your SAs will be, but have you considered setting up Nagios to monitor your Windows server(s)?

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/monitoring-windows.html

However, I suspect that idea won't wash with your SAs either.

Cheers,
Norm.

--
Norman Dunbar