Re: Cloning from physical standby

From: Michael Brown <dba_at_michael-brown.org>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 08:36:01 -0500

You are not creating new controlfiles for the standby, so you do not want to activate it.

What you are asking about is exactly how I used to do clones in an 8.1.7 and then 9.2 environment.

I agree with the suggestion that rman duplicate may be the easier way to go today although a piece of this is how you will copy. If you are on a SAN that supports read/write snapshots and you are cloning often, shutting down the standby long enough to get a fresh snapshot is a very easy way to clone (be aware of how your snapshots work when data changes on both the source and target or you can be shocked at the space required).

--
Michael Brown
dba_at_michael-brown.org