Re: Dynamic sampling

From: Hemant K Chitale <hemantkchitale_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 18:12:07 +0800

I don't have access to run the query. It is called from a procedure in a package executed by the application. I can only "see" it.

Hemant K Chitale
http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com
sent from my smartphone

On Nov 11, 2010 4:39 PM, "William Robertson" <william_at_williamrobertson.net> wrote:

 Ah, agreed that would be a helpful feature. It would also be good if the plan could indicate whether global or partition stats (or default estimates) were used and whether they are stale.

I wouldn't be without dynamic sampling though. I find one instant-tuning technique is to try the query at level 9 (either via hint or alter session) and see if it produces a better plan, preferably using 'ADVANCED' in the call to dbms_xplan.display_cursor to get the outline section. Then if it does, figure out what's better about it. It's a bit like using DBMS_SQLTUNE but without the requirement for special privileges.

William Robertson

  • Original Message -------- Subject: Re: Dynamic sampling From: Hemant K Chitale <hemantkch...

CC: ORACLE-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Date: 11/11/2010 08:20