Re: ot - laptop for dba

From: Daniel Ignat <daniel.ignat_at_core.ro>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 19:38:20 +0300

Dear all,

Evreyone must use what hi want - or afford - to use! All OS are good or good enough for any “daily” DBA task. For statistics - I’am “old style” and I prefer to work most of the time in CLI. MacOS is nice because you forget about more non-DBA’s task’s and is fast..

There is root user.

danielignat_at_]conn> sw_vers

ProductName:	Mac OS X
ProductVersion:	10.6.3
BuildVersion:	10D573

danielignat_at_]conn> id
uid=501(danielignat) gid=20(staff) groups=20(staff),402(com.apple.sharepoint.group.1),204(_developer),100(_lpoperator),98(_lpadmin),81(_appserveradm),80(admin),79(_appserverusr),61(localaccounts),12(everyone),401(com.apple.access_screensharing) danielignat_at_]conn> su -
Password:
localhost:~ root# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(wheel) groups=0(wheel),402(com.apple.sharepoint.group.1),204(_developer),100(_lpoperator),98(_lpadmin),80(admin),61(localaccounts),29(certusers),20(staff),12(everyone),9(procmod),8(procview),5(operator),4(tty),3(sys),2(kmem),1(daemon),401(com.apple.access_screensharing) localhost:~ root#

Daniel Ignat | Database Consulting Member Technical Staff CORE Software | Aleea Fabulistului no. 6, 1st Floor, Bucharest