Re: Metalink response time - Using Metalink to get the right Severity code assigned to your SR...

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 09:58:48 -0700 (PDT)

Update the SR and have them up it to a sev 2. You can also call and ask that they update the SR to a Sev 2.

For those of you who are not aware, here is a Metalink hint...

If you want a sev 1 SR, answer the "Is the problem causing Mission or business critical loss of service..." prompt YES. You will get a SEV 1 SR. If you want a sev 2 SR, there are three questions that you need to pay particular attention too at the end of the last SR form:

Can you easily recover from, bypass or work around the problem? Does your system or application continue normally after the problem occurs? Are the standard features of the system, or application, still avaialbe. Is the loss of service minor?

If you answer all questions NO then you get a SEV 4 SR. if you answer only the "Can you easily recover from, bypass or work around the problem" question NO, you get a SEV 3 tar automatically. If you answer the "Does your system or application continue normally..." question NO, then you will get a SEV 2 tar automatically. Answering this with the others YES will still result in a Sev 2 SR. If you answer the Are the standard features of the system, or application, still avaialbe. Is the loss of service minor? question YES, you will get a SEV 2 tar automatically. Answering this with the others YES will still result in a Sev 2 SR.

If I need support at a reasonable speed, then I always choose to make the SR a Sev 2. Otherwise you just wait and wait.

Hope this helps!

RF

 Robert G. Freeman
Oracle ACE
Author:
Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON IT'S WAY SOON! OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide (Sybex) Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
Other various titles out of print now... Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com The LDS Church is looking for DBA's. You do have to be a Church member in good standing. A lot of kind people write me, concerned I may be breaking the law by saying you have to be a Church member. It's legal I promise! :-) http://pages.sssnet.com/messndal/church/parachurch.pdf

  • Original Message ---- From: Bill Ferguson <wbfergus_at_gmail.com> To: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com> Cc: oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:13:20 AM Subject: Re: Metalink response time

They rated it as a 3 since the database is still running. But, I can't upgrade and then apply a required patch I need for some spatial capabilities in the meantime.

--
-- Bill Ferguson

-- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l