Manually creating a DR database

From: Steve Baldwin <stbaldwin_at_multiservice.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 10:12:01 +1000

We are using 11g RAC (standard edition) for our production database. Being standard edition we do not have DataGuard so I'm in the process of setting this up manually.

I have installed 11g RAC on our DR boxes and have the ASM diskgroups configured.

My plan is :

   Create a snapshot (clone, whatever) of the prod DB on the DR machines from a recent rman backup (or backups - we do level 0 once a week and level 1 the rest of the week).

   As redo logs are archived on the prod DB, copy them (and the current control files) over to one of the DR boxes

   At some regular interval, apply those logs to the DR database so that in the event of needing to switch to DR, the switchover time is not too long (less than an hour). The DR database will only ever be activated (opened) in the event of a disaster (i.e. hopefully never).

The questions I have ...

  1. Does this approach sound feasible or is there something obvious/ subtle that I have overlooked?
  2. To get the DR database registered with Clusterware, do I create a dummy DB and then blow it away before restoring the prod backup or is it better to register it after I've restored it? If the latter, can you give some pointers on how to do this.

If anyone can help me in my confusion I'd be most grateful.

Thanks,

Steve

This email is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, or both. If you receive this email in error please immediately notify the sender and delete the email.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Jun 18 2009 - 19:12:01 CDT

Original text of this message