Data Guard implementation : Question about role transition

From: Kumar Madduri <ksmadduri_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 08:11:15 -0700

Hi
Chapter 7 of the data guard implementation guide describes about role transitions. There are two scenarios which are described here (a) failvoer (b) switchover.
What if I really dont want to do both of them. I want to test my standby by breaking it, but dont want to make it primary. My standby is in a remote location and I just want to set it up, break the standby (when the primary is up) and see if I can make it work. Once this works, the idea is to rebuild the standby and it would be in managed recovery state
The standby is in a DR site which ideally I want to failover during an actual DR but I want to test my standby setup (on whether I can break it etc) before the acctual DR and document the procedure.

When I tried to keep primary up and try to break the standby , it would not allow me even though I disable the log_archive_Dest_2.

Thank you for any pointers