RE: update a 200 - 300 row table

From: Johnson, George <George.Johnson_at_gam.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 13:53:05 +0100

I'd go with APEX, that way you retain complete control over the app, both security and functionality. User wants a new feature, you can do it without having to worry about any missing modules or dependencies. Unless you're going to find some way to obfuscate your Perl app, you have to trust the user not break your scripts if they are remotely installed on a PC. We're moving from Forms to APEX for some of our analyst's data maintenance forms. I can't wait until the devs have finished building the new APEX apps, upgrades, revisions, etc, will be a doddle compared to having to push out compiled Forms to all our sites!

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Mathias Magnusson Sent: 01 June 2009 06:44
To: tony.adolph.dba_at_gmail.com
Cc: Maxim Demenko; Oracle Discussion List; gary.northfield_at_vodafone.com; richard.griffin_at_vodafone.com
Subject: Re: update a 200 - 300 row table

You would instal APEX in the same database as where the table is. Then build an application in it that references the table in the schema it is currently located in.

If this is an option, then it may well be the best option in user interface, security, and sped to set it up.

Perl-Tk isn't too hard. Setting up the graphical objects can be tricky, and understanding the model and how all things should be linked together may feel a little odd in the beginning. Once you wrap your head around the Tk model and way of developing, the rest are just different objects
(as in things to have on the screen, not oop) you can use.

But building in APEX would probably be nicer, and you would not have to fiddle with Perl, DBI, DBD:Oracle and get new versions of DBD built when you upgrade the DB.

Mathias

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 3:33 AM, Tony Adolph <tony.adolph.dba_at_gmail.com> wrote:

        I didn't mention that the 200-300 row table is referenced
(and/or part of) an existing application (Avantis).

        I thought about APEX, but wouldn't installing it result in creating a new database with a new home.

        I have a played with APEX and found it easy to create a form that would do the job, but creating a whole new database and instance just for one table update is a little OTT isn't it?

        Or is there a way to use the APEX development interface for an existing database?

        Tony

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual or entity named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version. This message is provided for informational purposes and should not be construed as an invitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or related financial instruments. GAM operates in many jurisdictions and is regulated or licensed in those jurisdictions as required. To the extent this email has been sent to you by any GAM company domiciled in the EU, being GAM (U.K.) Limited, GAM Sterling Management Limited, GAM International Management Limited, GAM London Limited, GAM Fund Management Limited, or GAM Fonds Marketing GmbH i.L., please note the following details in respect of each such company: - GAM (U.K.) Limited (a company limited by shares and registered in England and Wales with company number 01664573); - GAM Sterling Management Limited (a company limited by shares and registered in England and Wales with company number 01750352); - GAM International Management Limited (a company limited by shares and registered in England and Wales with company number 01802911); - GAM London Limited (a company limited by shares and registered in England and Wales with company number with Company Number 00874802) Each of Registered Office: 12 St. James's Place, London, SW1A 1NX GAM Sterling Management Limited, GAM International Management Limited and GAM London Limited are each authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. GAM Fund Management Limited (a company limited by shares and registered in Ireland with no. 156828) of Registered Office: George's Court 54-62 Townsend Street Dublin 2, Ireland GAM Fonds Marketing GmbH, i.L. (a company limited by shares and registered in Germany under No. HRB 66857) of Friedrichstrasse 154, D-10117 Berlin, Germany. The competent Commercial Register is "Amtsgericht Charlottenburg" in Berlin. Liquidator: Daniel Durrer.