RE: re "CBO - A Configuration Roadmap" -- Histograms on Non-Indexed Columns

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_vmsinfo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 11:31:04 -0500

Hemant, histograms provide input to CBO, which creates an execution plan. For what decision can histogram on an unidexed column be useful? Such histogram can be used to decide between sort/merge join or hash join. The resulting difference in execution speed can be dramatic.

Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA
1500 Broadway, 6th floor
New York, NY 10036