RE: RAC on OCFS2 acceptance testing

From: Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 09:09:14 -0800

You might want to loko at this:
http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/2006/12/09/testing-rac-failover-be-evi l-make-new-friends/

I thought you said everything :-)

>>>know... decision was made before my time - it's not Ferrari,
>>>but performance is not my concern at the moment).

Even shared-nothing clustered databases can hold up under failures when they are idle.

>>>1. FO: Single primary failure [instance abort, SIGKILL
>>>listener, crs, cssd, power off a node, interconnect NIC
>>>failure (not bonded), HBA failure - how? ]

killing stuff==simple, not a challenge. Power-off a node? Simple, not a challenge. Linux RAC without a bonded interconnect is not RAC. That
is a single point of failure for the entire cluster. HBA? Pull both paths from their GBICs.

>>>4. FO: Cascading failures [?]

yes

>>>5: DR [srvctl stop database -d <...> -o abort and FSFO to a
>>>target standby under 2min, change the threshold and manual
>>>FO and switchback, FO to a non-target standby]

good practice!

>>>6. Load test [basic built-in synthetic DG 5-hour load of
>>>aprox. 3 MB/s, 10 tps - verify LB (server-side TAF, no FAN)]

Thus far all your tests embody the simple clusters testing Oracle already does. This wont go much further either.

>>>7. Recovery [Loss of database, ocr (single copy and all),
>>>voting disks (single copy and all), spfile, cf (single copy
>>>and all), online redo (non-current/active, active, current -
>>>all multiplexed copies), binary tree, physical and logical
>>>corruptions (e.g. single table block corruptions with bbed), etc.

Good practice.

>>>8. Application load and stress tests (qaload?)

Good idea.

>>>Any evil thoughts (but not evil enough to kill the system
>>>completely, as I have to hand it over at the end of a week)?

Read the blog.