direct path write wait

From: blr_dba <deepak_blr_at_youtele.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 20:46:53 +0530

Dear Gurus,

Am having huge amount of waits on "direct path write event". This event has 98% of the total wait time. Now we want to tune it.

We are using Solaris 9 and Oracle 9.2.0.7.

After examining the system we found that logging is enabled on the mounted UFS file systems.

Need your expert advice on the following...

> How to know whether the UFS is enabled for asynchronous IO or direct IO?
> Which one is better for DWH environments? Pros and cons of each.
> Is filesystem cache is involved in both of the above methods?

Please suggest the best solution for my environment.

Looking forward to your ever valuable feedback.

Deepak