Re: Does anyone use 10gR2 Grid control for enterprise wide monitoring ?

From: Alex Gorbachev <gorbyx_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:05:45 -0500

> Even a simple restart of the target database / servers result in ...

When database is bounced, you should have blackout set as well as for node bounce.

On 12/22/06, Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
> We had release 1 running on our Aix box and it pretty much sucked. The...

Well, in my experience it's most stable on Linux 32 bit. I didn't try it on Solaris but AIX and HP-UX I found somewhat lagging in stability and number of bugs.

> It's a pretty weird product. I don't think I need all of the grid
> functionality (don't want server stats, app server operations, web server
> operations, auto patch install, auto Metalink search for patches – please!).
> We only need simple Oem functionality – like is the database up or down and
> are there alert log errors. My opinion is that they took a perfectly decent
> product (9i Oem) and ruined it to try and gain market share competing
> against Veritas and other infrastructure monitoring tools. And we, the
> DBA's, get screwed in the process with a tool that no longer works.

Well, you don't really have these extra features unless you license them. They are bundled all together but you are not supposed to use it. I would recommend disabling those packs and also disable collection of metrics you don't use - this might save quite a bit of CPU for agents.

--
Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev

The Pythian Group