Re: ZFS snapshots

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 12:21:09 +0800

I suggest that you look at the OSCP Snapshot Vendors list (ZFS isn't yet in the Oracle Storage Compatibility Program)

See
http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/htdocs/vendors_snapshot.html

Many of these vendors have excellent WhitePapers / HowTo documents on their websites
detailing how Oracle Hot Backups are taken with their Snapshot Technologies and WHY "BEGIN BACKUP" and "END BACKUP" are necessary even for Snapshot based backups.

(for other
technologies, NetworkAttachedStorage, RemoteMirroring see http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/htdocs/vendors.html)

Hemant
At 10:22 AM Sunday, Donahue, Adam wrote:

>I am just sending this FTR. It was in follow up to our discussion
>of ZFS snapshots and online backups, which I believe intermingled
>two related but separate issues. I've outlined them below.

Hemant K Chitale
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hkchital