Re: Wallet file on host only during startup

From: Alberto Dell'Era <alberto.dellera_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 22:31:14 +0100

> Hi Has anyone tried keeping the wallet file out of the box once the
> database is started.

I'm not an expert about TDE, but one week ago I investigated it and found this posting by Arup Nanda very informative:

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:44742967463133#45591838845270

basically, what I got is that keeping the wallet on the same box is perfectly safe, since a wallet without its password is perfectly useless to the attacker.

Also, I would expect (stress on "expect", I'm making an educated guess) that the encryption algorithm used for the wallet is much stronger than the one used for the columns. Because, the columns have to be en/decrypted on line, so reasonably fast, while the wallet has to be decrypted only when the instance starts; a few seconds used to decrypt the wallet is perfectly acceptable, but definitely not acceptable for the columns.

If my guess is correct, an attacker would be better off ignoring the stolen wallet altogether, and use his cryptanalysis skills directly on the datafiles - less resistance there.

--
Alberto Dell'Era
"Per aspera ad astra"