dbms_stats and analyze 10g Release 2

From: Joe Smith <joe_dba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:25:08 -0600

Does the CBO use stats collected with "analyze table..." on LONG and LONG RAW columns? I think that the CBO only uses stats collected by dbms_stats.

I have inheirted this shell script ( from 9.2.0.5.0 ) and it has this entry in it:

select distinct('Analyze Table ' || dba_tables.owner || '.' || dba_tables.table_name || ' estimate statistics sample 20 percent;') from dba_tables , dba_tab_columns
where dba_tables.owner not in ('SYS','SYSTEM','MDSYS','WMSYS','CTXSYS')

and dba_tables.owner = dba_tab_columns.owner
and dba_tables.table_name = dba_tab_columns.table_name
and dba_tab_columns.data_type = 'LONG RAW'

I am modifying this script to use dbms_stats.gather_database_stats and dbms_stats.gather_system_stats, does the above statement do me any good in 10gRelease 2. Does the CBO acutally use these stats?

MSN Shopping has everything on your holiday list. Get expert picks by style, age, and price. Try it!