Re: dataguard

From: Sam Chakkanat <cvsam_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 14:17:41 -0800

> > What is size of your application? How many tables? volume. Depending, Oracle Streams may also be an option.
>
> Rman dump is about 3 G.
> Exp dump~ 1.8 G.
> We have 70-80 tables.
> Most of selects uses a single (products) table.
> If we could spread the queries against that table that would be a big
> gain too.

80 tables are not that difficult to replicate in a Streams environment. You could also spread the queries using the service names to point to the second instance. You databases are now Read/Write on both end.

> > But DML redirect to master only may need some work, if application cannot support that. (or use specific service names for application? )
>
> I think we can modify our application. This isnt a big issue.

It means you should have either

    (1) Both Read/Write instances
    (2) Read Only instance and One Read/Write (master)

> There is any way to apply the logs continually and meantime read from the
> standby database?
> Or this operations exclude the other?

You could also use the new flashback feature on 10gR2 Data Guard to take an instance up for read/write. But you cannot have both logs applied, and have the standby database opened.

Sam Chakkanat
America's C-Bench
http://www.cbenchusa.com