Updating system statistics

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:14:10 -0600

My system statistics are horribly out-of-date and I'd like to gather more current numbers. Just to give you a taste, my current production statistics have MBRC=5, SREADTIM=0.078, MREADTIM=0.065. I gathered statistics on my development server (much lighter workload), and those stats came out to MBRC=89, SREADTIM=2.349 and MREADTIM=14.27. I'm aware that I'll probably want to lower MBRC back down to perhaps 8 afterward.

Now I want to gather statistics on the production server over a decent interval (90 minutes?) to put them on development. Is there a way to gather statistics and get the numbers without actually changing the in-place production stats? Or do I just have to gather, export, and then do a restore_system_stats(SYSDATE-1)?