Re: License question

From: Chris Dunscombe <chris_at_thedunscombes.f2s.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:06:35 +0000

Hi,

I had a situation where we might have been licensing partitioning sometime in the future so we wanted to install it, "just in case", as we'd be applying patch sets. This is because Oracle had told us that if we wanted to install partitioning after applying a patch set we'd have to do a fresh install including partitioning and then apply the patch set. Oracle also told us we couldn't install partitioning unless we were licensed for it.

OK this was a few years ago on 8.1.7 but I doubt it's changed. Therefore I think
it's far to say you can't install an Option or Edition of Oracle software unless
you're licensed for it.

HTH Chris

Quoting Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>:

> It's certainly possible - indeed some SE patchsets and ALL custom SE
> installs show as EE. Whether its legal or not is another issue.
>
> On 12/11/06, Dirk Vleugels <dvl_at_2scale.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> would it be possible to install a enterprise editition but use a
>> license for a standard edition? The enterpise features won't be used:
>> the customer just wants to be prepared to upgrade without any hassle
>> later.
>>
>> Is it possible to downgrade a instance (EE -> SE) after installation?
>> And upgrade it later if the need arrives?
>>
>> Curious,
>> Dirk
>> --

> Niall Litchfield