Re: License question

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 20:20:28 -0700

I would think that you are "playing with fire" here in several ways.

First, the differences between EE and SE are many and (sometimes) subtle. The Oracle documentation all assumes enterprise edition, and you may never know when a feature you are using is and EE feature. (For example, ALTER INDEX REBUILD ONLINE; incremental backup in 9i; incremental backup with block change tracking in 10g; etc., etc.)

As mentioned previously, the only supported way to downgrade from EE to SE is to perform an export/import. Upgrading from SE to EE, however, is trivial.

I would say that if you license SE and install EE, you are almost certain to fail a license audit, should one occur.

All in all, this sounds like a bad idea. If you've paid for SE, install SE. You'll be much less likely to experience unhappy surprises that way.

On 12/11/06, Dirk Vleugels <dvl_at_2scale.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> would it be possible to install a enterprise editition but use a
> license for a standard edition? The enterpise features won't be used:
> the customer just wants to be prepared to upgrade without any hassle
> later.
>
> Is it possible to downgrade a instance (EE -> SE) after installation?
> And upgrade it later if the need arrives?
>
> Curious,
> Dirk

Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead