Re: I/O and db_file_multiblock_read_count

From: Kevin Lidh <kevin.lidh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 07:50:42 -0700

At this time, we don't have system statistics. I built a million+ row table and didn't give it an index. I then did a select which was an equivalent of "SELECT *" to force a full-table scan. My goal was/is to find the optimal setting for the db_file_multiblock_read_count parameter. I was mostly just surprised that it was faster to grab the same group of data in pieces than in one fell swoop. My guess was that the underlying physical I/O (not what Oracle perceived as an I/O) was actually multiple reads from the disk and that the process of presenting them as a singular response comprised the addition time.