Re: I/O and db_file_multiblock_read_count

From: Vlad Sadilovskiy <vlovsky_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 15:02:54 -0500

And what did I say that was different from your first sentence? Second sentence I think is wrong. I'll deliberately use explicit tag for parameter and system statistics MBRC value to reduce possible misinterpretation.

If Kevin would calculate statistics with MBRC(parameter)=16, he'd gotten MBRC/MBR time(statistics) figures that would make CBO generate more plans with full scans than in case he'd calculated it with MBRC(parameter)=128. This is because full scans in fact (not presumably) as twice as fast with MBRC(parameter)=16.

Let the number of multiblock reads required with MBRC(statistics)=16 be 20% more than MBRC(statistics)=128.

If after that Kevin would change MBRC(parameter) to 128 without recalculating MBRC/MBR time(statistics) with MBRC(parameter)=128, it would not only make full scans required to perform MBRC(statistics)=128 perform as twice as slow but it would also inflict 20% more slowed by x2 multiblock reads.