Re: rman incremental merge

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 11:11:38 -0800

On 12/4/06, Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us> wrote:

> The usage that I've seen and used is to start with a level 0, and from
> there on out you'd only take level 1 incrementals. Then, based on
> your recovery window, you could roll your base backup image forward,
> for example to 7 days ago, if that is your window. It saves you the
> time of not having to do another level 0, but having a recent level 0
> image to start with for recovery.

The recovery of course depends on whether the incremental was a differential or cumalitive incremental. Cumalitives give faster backup performance than differentials, but cause longer restoration times. This is assuming that there is > 1 incremental level 1+ between level 0.

The reason I stopped using it is that you HAVE to do a backup COPY. I
> didn't have the disk to hold an actual copy, and needed to have
> compression.

Somehow I have missed that part. I have backed up and restored databases from incremental 0 and 1, but have not had to do any backup COPY.

Can you point to a relevant doc?

--
Jared Still