RE: SUSE or Red Hat

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_quadtechworld.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 15:57:29 -0600

I'm in no way an M$ supporter, but having spent the last month working on a plan to migrate our Oracle clients on M$ from 8.0.5 to 9.2.0.7, I can tell you that there are wonderful free tools at http://www.sysinternals.com that will help debug many Windohs programs, including finding out that a program using OO4O to connect to Oracle is pulling an OCIW32.DLL from System32 (it doesn't belong there) instead of the ORACLE_HOME\bin directory, causing a cascading failure of OCI calls. Noteables from the website:

Utilities
- File and Disk

   Filemon: This monitoring tool lets you see all file system activity in real-time.
- Processes and Threads

   Regmon: This monitoring tool lets you see all Registry activity in real-time.
- System Information

   Process Explorer: Like Windohs' "Task Mangler" but muuuuch better.

HTH! GL! Rich