RE: ** fall back backups

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 08:41:38 -0500

Having nothing at all to do with Oracle databases per se, I have long advocated a total system outage in excess of one hour for "fall back." IF (note the "if") this does not cause a material inconvenience to your business once a year between 1 AM and 3 AM Sunday morning, then it is an opportunity to completely eliminate time warp file stamps and events in your entire system. Notice that this in not needed at all for "spring ahead", or ever if you run your system on constant timeframes (like GMT worldwide).

This has nothing whatever to do with any particular known problem and everything to do with the improvement in certainty about what happenned when and establishing a sequence of events. If the value of easily establishing an order of events is less than the cost of shutting down for a small window once a year, then don't do it.

Handling "fall back" has in fact escaped the imagination of many overall applications systems designers over the years. Unless shutting down is really pretty inconvenient, I prefer to skip the test.

I can't remember if anyone has actually implemented a "run slow" timer to nearly completely eliminate all problems by running the wall clock at half speed for two hours beginning at 1 AM. I do remember discussing that with vendors in the early to mid 1990's in conjunction with MOSES.

Regards,

mwf