Re: DATAFILE??

From: Robyn <robyn.sands_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:44:02 -0400

I've really been trying to avoid jumping in on this one, but I can't help it any longer. The oracle-l list is trying to be many thing to many levels of DBA's. As a baby DBA, I loved it because it was some place I could go to find answers to questions I didn't even know to ask yet. Since I seldom recall anything that I don't have work to learn, I prefer to read and search to find my answers. If I just ask and someone tells me, I know that I'll forget again the next time the problem rears it's ugly head. Every once in a while, I'd have a question that would stump me and I'd ask. Sometimes it was actually a good question that generated a little discussion and other times I'm sure lots of readers were rolling their eyes at my lack of knowledge.

However, there are times that a DBA is in a crunch; no time, familiar manuals are at another location and you need an answer. There's been times I've asked something I knew the answer to once upon a time, but I needed to know NOW so I asked. Maybe some of the rtfm questions are coming from people who normally do research and really desire to understand how the stuff works and typically, an occasional dumb question will get an answer (along with a little grief maybe but hey, it's worth it if you got your answer.)

But there some that abuse their dumb question quota and every once in while, I'll read an rtfm answer and think 'amen brother!!'. In general, silence is best but every once in while, for the persistent abusers, the rtfm is deserved.

Robyn

--

Robyn Anderson Sands
email: Robyn.Sands_at_SciAtl.com