Re: DATAFILE??

From: <rjsearle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:16:56 +1000

Wow, I wondered if this would generate some discussion...  I think a certain balance is required. In the left corner we have a newbie who doesn't know about http://tahiti.oracle.com. In the right corner, we have the Oracle (no not the product, nor the company, THE Oracle, you know? The one who has seen, done and read it all and is only to be disturbed by Larry himself and only about the most grave technical matters?  Somewhere in the middle are the rest of us. I know that I am still way down near the left corner, and trying to learn as I go. i think that the views here are excellent and I expect that there are people the world over reading these posts, nodding and saying "yeah, sure" in full agreement.  I think most would agree that this forum should not be restricted to discussing the esoteric undocumented features of oracle, or critqueing the implementation of the X$ memory structures, or debating the merits of the physical block layouts etc. While interesting and certainly within the scope of this forum, I suspect that most of us have little need for such topics.  On the other hand, I think this forum should not be used a the "first port of call", regardless of the complexity of the problem. Doing so can be construed as a little bit lazy and relying on others to solve your problems without first trying yourself. I think the objections raised earlier is less to do with the neture of the question rather that it appears that NO research had been conducted prior to requesting the help of others.  So I think everyone should try to help themselves as best they can before asking for help. After all, if YOU can't be bothered to try and solve your problems, why should anyone else? I would expect that all of the people on this list would be very willing to help others solve particular problems. I believe in "What goes around comes around". If you help others, others will help you. If you try to solve problems, others will help solve those as well.
 This is sent in the spirit of community and honesty. I hope that you all take no offence at anything I have said. This is a great forum and I want to see it continue with the involvement of skilled and reputable experts. We are all time constrained, but if we are lazy in our use of this forum, the more knowledgeable folk will get sick of time wasting questions and leave the forum. Remember, this is a valuable resource consisting of volunteers. Respect the time of others by first investing some of your own time and I think this forum will work a treat!
 I just scrolled up again and realised that I'm rambling, so enough preaching from me, I've used enough of your time  Russell