RE: resync

From: Sheetz, Todd <tsheetz_at_atcllc.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:02:05 -0500

I actually just went through an implementation of Data Guard here and ran into issues with archive logs to multiple destinations, and even though dest_2 was set for optional, it still slowed down the production side because of an extremely slow WAN connection. We are running 9i and found that there is an underscore parameter that can be set in 9.2.0.5 and later that is default in 10g. The parameter is _LOG_ARCHIVE_CALLOUT='LOCAL_FIRST=TRUE'. This tells Oracle to write the local log first and then do the secondary destination no matter how long the write takes. The problem with a slow network is that the log is still writable so the Optional part of the destination does not come into play. Optional only works if the destination is unreachable. You can read more on Metalink Note: 260040.1

Todd Sheetz

Database Administrator

American Transmission Company

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Gogala, Mladen Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 8:58 AM To: 'zhuchao_at_gmail.com'; Mladen Gogala
Cc: David Sharples; peterdixon001_at_hotmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: resync

In this case it is. I have a RAC database on Solaris and I am maintaining two standby instances: one physical and one logical.

The latter one is called "reporting database". I've had all kinds of network calamities but my primary database was never hung.

If you have different experience, let's hear it, documented with OS and DB versions and the exact description. I cannot accept

patronizing tone on its own, without any additional arguments. In addition to that, to know how oracle works it is sometimes,

just sometimes, advisable to read the documentation.

--

Mladen Gogala

Ext. 121

From: zhu chao [mailto:zhuchao_at_gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 8:27 AM To: Mladen Gogala
Cc: David Sharples; peterdixon001_at_hotmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: resync

Hi, Gogala,

   Oracle is not always working as documented, you know:).

   We did configure optional, and primary database archive process did hang and locked that redo log on primary.

   I have seen several cases like that.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Mon Oct 10 2005 - 09:04:17 CDT