Re: Oracle Security Blasted

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 20:57:08 +0100

I really had better caveat this by saying that although I live in the UK and have a similar name, I have no connection to David Litchfield (at least none I am aware of - it seems likely that we are at least distantly related). On 10/7/05, Ray Stell <stellr_at_cns.vt.edu> wrote:

> Is that true? Are the Alert 68 holes still there? I thought I
> patched that about 4 or 5 times? ;)

I think that is rather the point, that rather than looking at example exploits and fixing the underlying cause - it looks as if Oracle have stopped specific example exploits. David is an extremely well regarded security researcher; I'd find it extraordinarily unlikely that what he writes is unjustified. It is also worth reading the Mary Ann Davidson interview that he refers to, it was an extraordinary piece of work with the CSO of Oracle attacking the security industry rather than making a serious case for the approach Oracle takes to security.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA