Re: LOCALLY MANAGED EXTENT PERFORMANCE

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:39:14 -0600

Doesn't do the job. This only tells me what the largest extent sizes are for segments. It does not tell me whether any of them are possible to run out of space within "N" extensions...

Think it through, considering the three possible alternatives:

And you'll see why the last is very difficult to work with, unless you are willing to encode reverse-engineered observations that can change without warning from version to version. Plus, figuring this out is a non-trivial programming exercise anyway, unlike the first two alternatives...

My view on it: autoallocate is OK for very small applications where space just doesn't change very rapidly. When space management is important, it is worth the time to use LMT uniform intelligently. After all, you can't improve that which you can't measure...