CRS questions

From: Justin Mitchell <jmitchell_at_taxwise.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 09:21:37 -0400

We're going through a new RAC install here, and I'm a little curious about something. The documentation doesn't seem to be a whole lot of help, from what I've been able to find, so I'm hoping some folks on here might have some ideas.

We're starting up a new 10g 10.1.0.2 cluster for some test patching, load testing, etc. after having a 10.1.0.3 (Patched from 10.1.0.2) cluster last year in production. What makes me curious is that the list of services as part of the CRS system seems a bit different, if I use crs_stat to take a look. Considering that we went through a nice busy season with the system as it was (though not without problems, of course), but the services don't really seem to be needed too much, I have to wonder *what* these things are. Can any of you guys help fill in the blanks here as to what these are, and what the actually do?

These we had last year:

ora.[host].LISTENER_[HOST].lsnr  (Obviously the listener process)
ora.[host].gsd
ora.[host].ons  (This one really gets us since we normally didn't have
it running, but occasionally did. Couldn't tell a difference.) ora.[host].vip (This one's obviously the virtual IP)

This time, we also have these services:

ora.[DBNAME].[DBNAME].[INSTANCE_NAME].srv
ora.[DBNAME].[DBNAME].cs
ora.[DBNAME].[INSTANCE_NAME].inst
ora.[DBNAME].db

While these last ones look important, the lack of them didn't seem to have any impact on the cluster, which makes me wonder about their importance. Even with the first ones, I still have to wonder since we tried running them once or twice without them while debugging some things and they seemed to work alright for the most part. On the other hand, if we weren't able to get it quite stable enough, perhaps these missing services were the key.

Thanks for your help,

Justin Mitchell

The information contained in this electronic message from Universal Tax Systems, Inc., and any attachments, contains information that may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify Universal Tax Systems, Inc., immediately by e-mail or by telephone at 706/290-7200, and destroy this communication. Thank you.