Re: tempspace usage

From: Greg Norris <spikey.mcmarbles_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 08:49:10 -0500

> If the problem is the space doesn't disappear from V$SORT_USAGE
> across multiple statements, I'd bet it was temp tables/indexes
> because a sort or hash should disappear when the statement ends
> while the temp table persists until the end of the transaction or session
> depending on how its scope was declared.

Yes, it definately appears to be persisting across individual statements. Unfortunately this database has no global temporary tables (aside from SYS.ATEMPTAB$, of course), so that isn't it. :-(

> Also check the SEGTYPE column to see if the space is being used for
> sort, hash or temporary tables/indexes.

Thanx, this was a great suggestion. It seems that all of the problematic sessions are split between LOB_DATA and LOB_INDEX, with the former taking the majority of the space. I'm guessing this means that the application is using temporary LOBS, and not releasing them once they're no longer needed... I'll check with the developers.

Thanx!

--=20
"I'm too sexy for my code." - Awk Sed Fred.