Re: Listener password

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:51:12 -0400

On 4/15/05, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Why not test it out on test server?
> Before setting a password, check how you can shutdown the listener
> from a remote server.

>=20

> Just create a listener.ora on the remote server with the host set to the
> local box.
>=20

> eg.
>=20

> Local box -> legitimate listener.ora
>=20

> Remote box -> copy of listener.ora from local box
>=20

> remote> lsnrctl
> lsnr> stop
>=20

> You have now stopped the remote listener, which is probably not a good
> thing.
>=20

> Play with the connectivity after setting the password and make sure you
> are comfortable with how everything works.
>=20

> Jared
>=20

> On 4/15/05, Seema Singh <oracledbam_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I want to setup listener password .Wondering is any impact on applicati=
on
> > connectivity?
> > Thanks
> > -Seema
> >
> > --
> >
>=20

> --
> Jared Still

Seema,

This is a topic that is HIGHLY version dependent and somewhat platform dependent.
Please include Oracle database server software version and OS info where appropriate.

In 10g R1 on win32, local OS authentication is used by default, and one does not have to set the password on the listener manually for remote administration to be prevented.
Prior releases had no password set by default.

Provided that the user application is only creating sessions, setting a listener password should have no effect on their connectivity.

Metalink, search on "listener password"
Note:1079215.6
How to Prevent Listener Shutdown from Remote Server http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_data= base_id=3DNOT&p_id=3D1079215.6

This doc also may be of interest: (search on "listener remote administratio= n")
Note:272633.1
Description and usage of the ADMIN_RESTRICTIONS_listener_name parameter http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_data= base_id=3DNOT&p_id=3D272633.1

Also:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/security/oracle9i/pdf/9i_checklist.= pdf