RE: mysql - OT

From: Mohan, Ross <RMohan_at_arbinet.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 17:12:28 -0000

echoing Walt "Dream" Weaver, this was a fun read.=20

I liked the bits about surfing pr)n the best. Consider=20 serializing that in future "MyPost" emails, I would.=20

I am just dipping toe into Postgres stuff, but it's been around for almost two decades, has SQL compliance and is ACID, and matches MySQL on speed at all but the highest ranges, while superceding it on file corruption/protection issues, and far superceding it on stable features. Of course, MySQL is adding features all the time.=20

I have to say the postgres install went very very smoothly,=20 and the pl/sql=3D=3D>pl/pgsql transition looks to be very fast, too. Massive addition bennies to being able to do perl, java, python, c, etc function directly in database. neat. Also, in a single user, massive streaming mode, PG keeps up very well with Oracle 9ir2. We get about 120K direct path rows loaded per sec in each. Not too shabby.

I hope this PG stuff pads out my rez, since there's nothing=20 like adding "Niche Opensource Database Dude" to de-commoditize oneself. And at my "older than dirt" age, anything to keep a leg up on you intelligent, energetic, single and rich young'uns is worth its weight in fool's gold.=20