Re: mysql

From: Walt Weaver <weaver1308_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 10:10:08 -0600

Fun read. Administering MySQL takes more sysadmin skills than DBA skills.

In fact, it can be argued that DBA skills are going the way of the buggy whip. Why pay someone $85,000/yr (I know, some of you think that's a low salary) when you can do without him/her and get 80% or more performance of the database he's not around to tune?

Cost/benefit. The MySQL path makes very good sense for 99% of the organizations out there who need a place to keep their data. And, if you have a good sysadmin that data is safe.

So much of the things we do are becoming a commodity...

--Walt