RE: Date datatype

From: Aragon, Gabriel (GE Commercial Finance) <gabriel.aragon_at_ge.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 10:33:37 -0400

According to the FM, the function doesn't work with date field, only = with timestamp with time zone data type:

sqlplus> create table t1 (d date, tz timestamp with time zone);

Table created.

sqlplus> insert into t1 values (sysdate, sysdate);

1 row created.

sqlplus> select extract(minute from d) from t1; select extract(minute from d) from t1

                           *

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-30076: invalid extract field for extract source

sqlplus> select extract(minute from tz) from t1;

EXTRACT(MINUTEFROMTZ)

                   19

but with date part of the field, there is no problem:

sqlplus> select extract(year from d) from t1;

EXTRACT(YEARFROMD)

              2005

sqlplus> select extract(year from tz) from t1;

EXTRACT(YEARFROMTZ)

               2005

Gabriel