Re: Master to Master Replication and availability

From: Terry Sutton <terrysutton_at_usa.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 10:52:26 -0700

I have a client using Master to Master successfully to increase availability. But be advised that synchronous doesn't increase availability, it decreases it. If either database is down, you can't complete transactions on the DB that's still up.

--Terry

Hey guys,

Just curious here.. But "who" out there is using some sense of master-to-master replication of an OLTP application using to provide their clients a level of availability? So for example, two databases which would reside in geographically diverse data centers with synchronous replication :-)

I'm not a big fan of master-to-master synchronous replication (nor async replication) as I believe the complexity and operational overhead would far exceed providing a Stand By Database (Data Guard). But I'm looking for some feedback/experience from the folks on the mailing list.

Thanks in advance!!

Greg Loughmiller